“The Sustainable Mail Group advocates for the development of innovative packaging materials and the adoption of forward-thinking packaging and shipping techniques.” To learn why, read on….
Transportation and Logistics
Optimized transportation and logistics planning makes good business and environmental sense. Refining the way we package and ship items can improve the bottom line dramatically by reducing waste, freight charges, and time in transit. The impact on the environment can be equally dramatic: efficient transportation reduces GHG emissions and conserves fuel.
Transportation and Logistics Objective
The Sustainable Mail Group advocates for the development of innovative packaging materials and the adoption of forward-thinking packaging and shipping techniques.
SMG recommends that sustainable transportation options be selected whenever possible and that carbon offsets be purchased to balance emissions.
- Optimize loads whenever possible:
- Maximize the quantity of pieces in each load.
- Optimize the timing for multiple loads in a single push.
- Minimize dead space in each load by refining packaging techniques.
- Adopt new pallet options:
- Paper pallets or perfect pallet exchange programs.
- Explore new pallet wrap options.
- Explore resuable pallet wrap options with exchange programs.
- Attempt to gravitate away from poly-wrap because of its negative impact on the environment and difficulty to recycle.
- Look for closed loop solutions or recapture waste diversion solutions that can turn this material into income streams.
Why Companies should be Carbon Neutral
Today, we don’t have to look far to see the effects climate change has on our world. Extreme weather events, melting glaciers, and rising sea levels have devastating impacts on our environment and our communities. This prompts the question; how can companies take action to combat climate change? A way to act is to become carbon neutral. Being carbon neutral gives your company an opportunity to differentiate itself as a climate leader in your industry. Read More